Young moms are very well familiar with such problem as colic in babies. This everything starts with excessive crying without any obvious reason like an infection or a trauma. Very often young moms get frustrated and confused because of this, but the answer is quite simple and direct: the baby suffers from colic. Below, you can see the facts about this common problem in babies.
1. Colic is a condition connected to abdominal discomfort, cause by extra gas collected in the stomach and the upper bowels of your baby. That is why the baby cries insistently and without an obvious reason. This condition usually happens several times a week, but sometimes it repeats every day.
2. It can be necessary to see a doctor for an examination in order to be sure that your baby has no other problem causing discomfort and lots of crying. A specialist will be able to determine wither the baby suffers from colic, or possibly from something else.
3. Usually, colic is caused by gases that are coming from the formula you give to your baby. There are also individual reasons why babies may have increased occurrence of colic in babies, including increased gastrointestinal sensitivity or a lack of certain enzymes which aid protein digestion, etc.
4. Treatment of colic usually include switching from the formula that causes gas to other foods, like soy products. Sometimes a specialist can prescribe certain medication to decrease the discomfort baby feels, but usually a diet change is sufficient. But remember that everything should be done only under the doctor’s supervision.
5. Many moms want to know, how long will the baby suffer from colic? Sometimes this problem can be lasting and decrease only after 6-8 weeks. But when your baby turns 5-6 months, usually colic disappears and everyone in the house receives long awaited relief.